Saturday, January 4, 2014

The First Month of Boatlife in 25 Bullet Points

It's hard to believe, but I've reached the one month mark. Actually, a bit beyond a month, as I moved in on December 1st. One month of watching and learning. One month of thinking and writing.

So, is it cold? Yes. Is it hard work? Yes. Are some of the people mental? Yes. Do I regret moving on to the boat? Not for one minute.

Here are 25 reflections on my first month of boat life:

  • Living minimally has as much, if not more, to do with clearing the clutter out of your mind as it does with clearing the physical clutter out of your space.
  • Little things matter. Heat. Electricity. Clean clothes. Showers. Hot water. I appreciate them more.
  • Old hippies make excellent conversation partners.
  • I feel an enormous sense of accomplishment everyday, because I do more every day.
  • I notice the little victories - every time I come aboard and don't end up in the Thames is a win.
  • I am a more capable human being than I was a month ago. I can make fire.
  • Not having a proper shower at home is one of the best things that ever happened to me.
  • It's hard to feel sad for long when you watch the river roll by.
  • I am obsessed with the weather. Storms are scary. Rain matters a lot.
  • Less internet makes me more efficient when I have it, and more social once it is done for the day.
  • There is great pleasure in taking care of yourself
  • The mind goes quiet when you focus on the physical sensations of your body at work.
  • There is a genie that lives in our teapot.
  • Related to the teapot, people that did LSD for decades make interesting conversation partners.
  • I can use a circular saw, a jig saw, and I am an expert with silicon sealant
  • Staying over at a friends house feels like staying at a luxury hotel.
  • We are so ridiculously lucky, and most of us are so absurdly unaware of it.
  • The universe provides, so long as you open your eyes and are receptive.
  • There are spiders everywhere and not much you can do about it.
  • I get unnecessarily angry when someone shits in the piss loo.
  • Even living on the edge, there is abundance. Even if you can't see it at first.
  • Chalkboard paint is bad ass.
  • You won't die if you brush your teeth with river water.
  • People carry lots of different kinds of pain. Everyone has a story. There is value in listening to them.
  • Kindness takes many forms. Receive gratefully, show it often.
What lessons are to come in month two?

No comments:

Post a Comment